1. It takes 12 bees to get 1 teaspoon of honey
2. It is the only insect that produces food eaten by man.
3. Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and water; and it’s the only food that contains “pinocembrin”, an antioxidant associated with improved brain functioning.
4. Honey bees have 6 legs, 2 compound eyes made up of thousands of tiny lenses (one on each side of the head), 3 simple eyes on the top of the head, 2 pairs of wings, a nectar pouch, and a stomach.
5. The honey bee’s wings stroke incredibly fast, about 200 beats per second, thus making their famous, distinctive buzz. A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour.
6. A hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey.
7. The average worker bee produces about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
8. Each honey bee colony has a unique odour for members’ identification.
9. It is estimated that 1100 honey bee stings are required to be fatal.
10. Honey bees communicate with one another by “dancing”.